Newest Post

// Posted by :kanna // On :Monday, January 19, 2015

Hey guys! kanna here!


So this isn't a typical Anime Mondays post. Mainly because it's not Monday. But also because I'm giving you guys a glossary!!!

I felt like being nice (I'm usually a pretty nice person, though, so I don't know why I felt like saying I felt like being nice), and knew that there would be a lot of words that you guys probably didn't know or probably won't know. So I've decided to make your lives easier.

This will be in alphabetical order and constantly updated. My posts will be updated with links to the glossary (I'll get to that tomorrow). I'm not sure if I'll actually be using all these words, but these are all the ones that I could come up with. The words will be in English and Japanese, but they'll be in the order of the English alphabet.

Let's start!

Anime (アニメ): Japanese animated productions featuring drawings or computer animation

Canon: material accepted as "official" in a fictional universe's fanbase

Light novel (ライトノベル): Type of Japanese novel that tends to target middle and high school kids. Equivalent of a novella in Western terminology.

Manga (漫画): Japanese comics. Read from right to left. Characterized by art style.

One-shot (読み切り) (yomikiri): manga presented in its entirety without any continuation. Not usually tied to canon. Western equivalent would be a story created as a single issue found in comic books; often labeled with "#1" and sometimes subtitled as "specials."

Otome game (乙女ゲーム) (otome geimu): Literally means "girl game" and is targeted toward a female market. Story-based. Often associated with dating sims.

OVA: Short for Original Video Animation

Sound novel: Sort of like a visual novel, but the focus is less on the art and more on the music and background noise, which sets the atmosphere.

Visual novel (ビジュアルノベル): Interactive fiction game that features static graphics; usually anime-style art or live-action stills and sometimes video footage

And...that's all I have so far. I'll update this more as I use more words that might be unknown to most of you.

Oh! Before I sign off, I'm thinking of trying something new. I'm not quite sure how it works, but I'm going to try anyway:

As most of you remember, the first Anime Monday I did was Higurashi. I had heard of a series that was meant to serve as a spin-off of Higurashi called Umineko no Naku Koro Ni. I know nothing about this series, other than the same people who made Higurashi made Umineko. So, I've decided to do a live-Tweet as I watch the first episode. I'm still working on when this is going to be, but I'm planning on it being sometime this weekend. I'll let you know! If you want to Tweet along, follow me on Twitter @hikickgurl! See you soon!

Our next Anime Monday won't be until next Monday or the Monday after. Why? Because this is the first week of classes, so I'm going to be considerably busy getting used to my new classes this week.

If there is anything that you want to see me do to improve this glossary (visuals, better definitions, etc), let me know in the comments! I'll do my best to make it happen!

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

// Copyright © kanna-chan's cafe //Anime-Note//Powered by Blogger // Designed by Johanes Djogan //